Assistant Professor. Weed Ecology
Office: Paul Simon Public Policy Institute, Room 108
Dr. Gage holds a cross-appointment between the College of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Plant Soil and Agricultural Systems and the College of Agricultural, Life, and Physical Sciences, Plant Biology program. She has experience working with weed management research, planning and control in agricultural, grassland, forest, and aquatic ecosystems.
Visit the Weed Science lab website to learn more.
- The biology and ecology of weeds within managed and unmanaged systems
- Efficacy of new technologies in weed control
- The effects of weed management on weed population dynamics and the composition of the weed community or “weed shifts” to new dominant species
- The evolution of weeds in response to management, as in the development and consequences of herbicide-resistance
- The use of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) systems, the combination of multiple methods (biological, cultural, mechanical, physical, and chemical controls) to promote the long-term, effective management of weeds
- Weed/invasive plant policy
Ph.D. 2013, Southern Illinois University
- Gage, K.L., Gibson, D.J., Young, B.G., Young, J.M., Matthews, J.L., Weller, S.C., & Wilson, R.G. 2015. Occurrence of an herbicide-resistant plant trait in agricultural field margins. Ecology and Evolution, DOI: 10.1002/ece3.1667
- Gibson, D.J., Young, B.G., Owen, M.D.K., Gage, K.L., Matthews, J.L., Jordan, D.L., Weller, S.C., Wilson, R.G. 2015. Benchmark study on glyphosate-resistant cropping systems in the United States. Part 7: Effects of weed management tactics, and grower practices versus weed resistance best management practices on the weed soil seedbank over 6 years. Pest Management Science, DOI: 10.1002/ps.4039
- Schwartz, L.M., D.J. Gibson, K.L. Gage, J.L. Matthews, D.L. Jordan, M.D.K. Owen, D.R. Shaw, S.C. Weller, R.G. Wilson, and B.G. Young. 2015. Benchmark Study: Weed seedbank and field emergence in glyphosate-resistant cropping systems in the United States. Weed Science 63:425-439.
- Gibson, D.J., K.L. Gage, J.L. Matthews, B.G. Young, M.D.K. Owen, R.G. Wilson, S.C. Weller, D.R. Shaw, and D.L. Jordan. 2013. The effect of weed management systems and location on arable weed species communities in glyphosate-resistant cropping systems. Applied Vegetation Science 16: 676-687.
- Young, B.G., D.J. Gibson, K.L. Gage, J.L. Matthews, D.L. Jordan, M.D.K. Owen, D.R. Shaw, S.C. Weller, and R.G. Wilson. 2013. Agricultural weeds in glyphosate-resistant cropping systems in the United States. Weed Science 61: 85-97.